Electric Water Pump and Fan Digital Controller
The EWP®/Fan Digital Controller has two specific functions:
- Will manage the operation of the EWP® by varying the speed of the pump in response to the coolant temperature
- Manage control of your electric engine fan.
The Controller has a push-button to lock in any temperature from 40°C (104°F) to 110°C (230°F). It’s recommended you set the Controller to closely match your engine’s existing thermostat temperature.
When the ignition is turned on the Digital Controller will (after a self check to endure all is in working order) begin to pulse coolant around the system with the pump on for 10 seconds and then off for 30 seconds. Once the engine has warmed to within 20°C of your set temperature the controller will increase the frequency of the pulsing so the pump runs for 10 seconds and then is off for 10 seconds. This continues until the engine temperature is within 5°C of your set temp.
At this point the pump switches to continuously pumping and the flow rate varies to ensure the engine temp is stable. Once the Coolant reaches the set temp the pump then runs at full speed (Please see diagram below).
The Controller also manages the vehicles electric fan automatically, once the engine has reached +3°C above your set temperature it operates the fan.
Another significant benefit is that the Controller allows the EWP® & Fan to run on after ignition shutdown for either 3 minutes or until the coolant is 10°C below the set temperature to eliminate heat soak. As a failsafe, if the controller does not receive information telling it the coolant has attained a temperature of 40°C after 5 minutes, it goes into alarm mode (pump runs continuously at full speed). This ensures that the engine is protected against a sensor fault.
Digital Controller Operation Curve
- The Controller MUST be mounted inside the passenger compartment to minimise its ambient temperature and exposure to water
- Ensure the unit is mounted allowing easy access to the set button and to minimise exposure to direct sunlight.
- The Controller has 2 solid mounting options and Velcro to assist your installation.
- U-Bracket – ideal for under dash mounting
- Mounting plate – Ideal for mounting to dash or custom brackets
|Operating voltage||3V DC to 15V DC|
|Maximum current||7.5A @ 13V|
|Flow rate (max)||80 L/min (21.13 US gal/min) @ 13V DC|
|Operating temp.||-40° to 130°C (-40° to 266°F)|
|Pump design||Clockwise centrifugal with volute chamber|
|Pump weight||900 grams (2.0 lb)|
|Pump material||Nylon 66, 30% glass-filled|
|Burst pressure||350 kPa (50 psi)|
|Seal||Ceramic face seal|
|Self Priming||No, none of our pumps are self-priming|
|Fits hose size||32mm to 51mm (1⅜” to 2”)|